Friday, August 28, 2009

Looking for Advice. . .

Hey Girlies,

I have a quick question for all of you, which I will eventually get to. But I'll preface it by saying that it's a little meatier than most subjects tackled here. I'm just looking for your collective perspective. So here's the background to the upcoming question:

Lately I have found myself having a harder time than usual being a stay-at-home mom. There have been a lot of things that have all contributed to this at once. Firstly, my social network completely imploded after the move. Also, I am reallly pregnant. Huge. Very whale-like, which has contributed to my fatigue and over-all orneriness. Third, I know you all thought she was cute, but Nora, also known as The Mistress of Destruction, is really taking the stars out of my eyes about being the mother of a toddler lately. At lastly (and I hesitate to even mention this) there was the mixed blessing of being R.S. President. Even though it was hectic and crazy, there was a great reward in knowing that what I did daily made a difference.

Now, dudes, clarification: I'm fine and doing well. I'm still very much happy with my life, I don't need to be put on the temple prayer roll, and don't send out sympathy cards yet. I have a testimony of staying at home with my kiddies. I am thrilled to have a house, and am really liking Ohio. I am just searching for ways to find more satisfaction in doing the laundry and sweeping for the tenth time today and constantly breaking up bickering, oooo and cooking dinner. I struggle with liking that.

So my question is this: Do you ever experience feelings like this? What makes being a stay-at-home mom hard for you? What makes it worth it to you? What gives you daily satisfaction? Where does your inspiration come from?

Thanks, feel free to share.

Miss you guys.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

So, you're all great ladies, and this isn't a private blog, so I do follow you. So I hope you don't mind if I comment.

Today Travis and I were to speak in church on the Law of Sacrifice based on a talk of the same name by M. Russel Ballard given in 1996. We only had to give 5 minute talks because it was a missionary homecoming. Except when we got to church we found out the missionary wasn't home yet and on top of that the youth speaker bailed. My talk was already touching on what you were asking, so I'll admit to help fill time I referenced this post to help illustrate that we're not alone in our struggles, many share the same ones.

Like Becki who looks for those "moments" and Abby who has a snuggler, I have a bit of the same, I hold on to the "moments." Avery is like my shadow lately, he has to be withing a certain radius of me and if I'm sitting he wants to snuggle. This can get hugely annoying, but it is just so satisfying when I do sit with him.

Also, like Becki, the hobbies, whether you need something new or furthering something you're already doing is so important. I think it's human nature to want to categorize things in our lives. I had "identities" before I became a mom and part of my lack of fullfillment is when I feel like I'm only being identified as a "mom." Not that I need others to recognize me as something else, so much as I need to feel for myself that I am "this" and/or "that" in addition to "mom." Maybe that's a product of the culture, like Becki referenced, but for me I need more than the only descriptor of "mom."

Going back to having to speak today, Elder Ballard quoted President Kimball who said that "effort and struggle are necessary if we are to be saved through Jesus Christ. Through sacrifice and service on comes to know the Lord." When I was given the talk topic I had just (finally) finished reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, so I even spoke a little of that in my talk. Through such profound sacrifice and service, Tom came to know the lord particularly through his vision, and he was transformed. I appreciated the example. We can struggle and struggle, but as we hold on we can feel closer to Him and strengthened.

I'm sorry to go so preachy on this, I guess having to speak today brought out the religious/spiritual connections in abundance for me.

And how's this for putting some eternal perspective on the matter: I had stretched my 5 minute talk into 20 and was closing with my favorite scripture (Isaiah 41:10) and as I finished and was about to give the standard close someone yelled hysterically "call 911!" A man in the congregation had collapsed. CPR ensued, the EMTs came quickly, but unfortunately in the third hour we were informed that the man didn't make it. Obviously a shocking end to sacrament. Needless to say, Travis didn't speak. I kept thinking I wish I could just give the wife that last scripture one more time. "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Again, I hope you don't mind my contribution. I appreciate all of you and hearing everyone's answers too. Hang in there Jenni, we all can feel for you.

Becki said...

Laurie
thank you for sharing! you are always welcome to comment and are just as much a part of the "Milwaukee" group as anyone:)Good job on speaking for 20 minutes, I always mean to take the time alotted, but I always seem to speed up in from of people:)That's too bad about the man in your ward, how old was he?