Okay, I told you I have been thinking about this for a long time, especially with all the pressure I feel to go back to work (is that a Utah thing?) When I really sit and think about it, I stay home for selfish reasons. I don’t want to miss anything. My mom worked growing up and although I was fine with it, I remember seeing her cry over a missed Halloween part or a missed book report. I thought that was silly at the time, but now that I am a mom, I don’t want to miss those things. I want to be there to take pictures so my kids will remember what they were like as a kid, the good parts and the bad parts so they will know a little better what parenting is really like. I also want to be there when they need me. They won’t need me forever and so I have to get it while I can. I asked John’s mom why it was important for mothers to stay home and she said that there is just something special about coming home with someone waiting for you, rather than coming home to a cold, empty house. That kind of hit me because our homes are supposed to be the safe haven from the world and I want my kids to feel that, especially in these scary times. Just today, I was watching Sydney get on the bus and a few of the kids were cussing like nothing I have hear in a long time. I knew they wouldn’t listen to me if I told them to stop talking that way and they may have even started to pick on Sydney in the bus, they were just mean boys. Anyway, my hope is that I can teach enough good in the home to counteract all of the crap my kids are going to see in the world. But of course it is really hard to stay home! So this is how I cope:
1. I read your blogs. It helps me remember that I am not the only one struggling. Also, I love to read about the cute and fun things you do with your kids and I love to see your kids! It also helps give me ideas of things to do with my kids. (Jenni, muffin tin lunch has been a big hit!)
2. Date night. I realize I have a harder time when John and I don’t get quality time together. As we all know, we need a little more that 3 year old conversations.
3. Exercise. Okay, I am not great at this one, but I can control my anger better when I am exercising and that is just good for everyone in the house.
4. If things are going crazy and I can tell it is because the kids are bored, I sit and read them a few books. There is something magical about sitting with your kids on your lap and reading them a story.
5. If all else fails (which is does more than I like to admit), after the kids go to bed, John and I cook up some nice warm, chocolate chip cookies, sit on our butts, and watch a movie or TV show (I recommend Chuck for all those who want a laugh!)
By the way, I think I am going to print out everyone’s response and read it quite often. Thanks again Jenni for starting this discussion.
Mandie
2 comments:
I like #5 - I'll sign up for that. Great comments, Mandie. Surprising that there's pressure in Utah to go to work!
I have come to believe that dessert and parenting go together! I think is's a coping mechanism:) Good thoughts Mandie! I haven't noticed more pressure to work here in Utah, but maybe it's becuase I haven't been here very long.
Post a Comment